Tuesday

Bring back the slam book

I had this thought yesterday as I surfed Classmates.com. Yes, I am a Gold Standard Member. Yes, it is really a throwback and possibly I want to relive my great days of neon pink and yellow, the blue streaks in the hair and the hair bands when I believe that music was at its best. Maybe it is my shallow way of hanging on to my youth. But as I surfed and looked at the names I so wanted them to include a Slam Book. Does anyone remember the slam book, or am I talking out of my ass here? I know girls will remember them better than guys. They were the books made up of notebook paper where people had their names on them and each person wrote something about the persons name titled on the page. The catch, each person who wrote something had a number tied to their comment so you could go back and see who was responsible for each comment.

Many a feeling was hurt during the slam book era, especially mine. I can remember this being a moment in my life where I finally called someone out on their comment. One person in particular wrote that I was "Cheesy". Yes, the horror of being called Cheesy when you are in the 7th grade, how would I ever make it in life because Orleen called me Cheesy! I just could not believe what I read, so I asked Orleen, "Why did you write I was cheesy in the slam book?" She actually looked embarrassed to be called out on her comment and from that point on never wrote anything negative about me that I could find. This whole memory long as it is, made me think yesterday why not have a slam book on classmates.com where we can address classmates from our past. I would love to know why Cindy was such a bitch. I would love to ask, "Why such a bitch to me? What did I ever do to you to make you call me such mean and hateful names?" And all the other 20 people that called me names. But then I think, are they worth it? Do I think that they have done valuable things with their life? No probably not. Half of the people that were mean to me are not even on classmates.com. Why you ask, my guess, they cannot afford a computer, or do not have a job where they even know how to operate one. Yeah, call me cheesy, but you know what? 19 years later, I will be the one calling you cheesy because I put forth the effort to advance in life and did not give up at the age of 14. Bitter still, no just able to see the whole picture for what it is. Makes me think about these kids that come back and shoot up schools or fellow classmates because they were teased. Yeah, so was I but my Mom told me early on in life, there is always someone who is not going to like you, that is life. Better to try and understand that now than to walk around and always have your feelings hurt.

I was fortunate in my high school years, in a sense that I moved during my sophomore year in high school. I left my old life behind and the people that I had gone to school with since kindergarten. Moved to Texas with no history, clean slate. Moved to a state that each and every person I met worshiped me for being 6'1" tall, went from being a freak to a jock overnight. Strange to get to walk both sides of the fence. I miss my friends from my geek days the most, I only had 3 really good friends from high school here in Texas that I really care about today, but the friends I had right before I moved to Texas are the ones I still wonder about and miss still to this day. Cheesy, yep and that is me, and I would not have it any other way. Orleen was right and I was wrong in seeing it as the bad thing, it just takes 19 years to get there.

8 Comments:

At 11:00 AM , Blogger New Texan said...

Good post...

I've always said that I was lucky/glad to not be one of those high school kids who's life was at it's very best... at their prom.

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger Krust said...

You're just gearing up for the Def Leppard concert. Are you gonna color your hair blue again? Maybe put some of those feather clip things in there too?

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger TL said...

So very true there Steve, sad but true!

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger New Texan said...

IS DEF LEPPARD COMING TO TOWN????

 
At 3:12 PM , Blogger Masked Mom said...

Ooooh, the slam book! That's one of the few things about moving around so much that actually ended up being good. I was either not well known enough to be included or I was gone before anyone's nastiness made it back to me.

It's great how much perspective you gain with time, isn't it? The thing that gets me now is watching my kids, nieces and nephews going through all of that petty social crap. Makes you just wanna grab hold of some of those kids and shake 'em hard.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Oh the feather clip things.........loved those. We always got them at the State Fair and clipped them to our cowboy hats. This year at the State Fair we are going to see Rick Springfield! I can't wait!

We never had slam books. I can only imagine the problems I would have now if we did. I had no confidence back then. That would've destroyed any iota I was clinging to.

I am glad though that now you can be okay with what they wrote. Just think next we have to deal what our kids think of us!

 
At 8:59 PM , Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

Um, I signed up for classmates.com once upon a time--then felt so incredibly stupid that I erased my profile and removed my name.

bottom line: high school sucked. i don't care what happened or who it happened to. i remember those kids from my past, but guess what? Have a nice life!

(I'm not bitter! LOL) I'm just saying...I couldn't agree with Steve more!

 
At 6:14 AM , Blogger TL said...

Yes they are check this out http://www.defleppard.com/tour/ for all the details.

Yes, the roach clip feather thing, I had it, BUT I NEVER wore them in my hair again after I wore them once and was called Big Bird because being so tall and feathers just do not mix...oh the horror I felt then. I also refused to wear yellow back then too because of that reason. I so wish I could go back with my fuck you attitude and realize that it does not matter. I so hope it is easier for Sydney but I know kids are mean. I agree with MM, I want to shake the hell out of them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home