Can you hear the crickets?

Because I have been gone from blogger for so long? Wow, how time gets away from you. And so much and yet so little have happened. I guess it depends on who you ask and how involved they are in the whole realm of things. Let's see where to start...

Last week, Syd had pink eye, which appeared on Sunday. Usually in the past I have been so on my A-game that I would have known this right off the bat. Well, after a day of saying. "boy her eye looks all red and puffy." You would think I would clue in, this is not my first pink eye attack. Needless to say at 7 pm on Sunday when I say this to my Mom, she says: the obvious "it could be pink eye." Yeah duh! It was because yes there was just an outbreak at her daycare. So no school for her until 24hrs of drops. And Mommy and Daddy both cannot miss work on Monday, both are in crunch time issues at work. So, what to do with little miss pink eye? She goes home with my parents, my Mom works with Scott at the same place of employment, and right now is the major black out period at their work when it comes to time off. So, she stays with my Dad until Scott can pick her up from work. This is a strange situation. My Dad, well, adores is such a mellow phrase for his feelings for Syd. But does this mean he can keep her from the moment my Mom leaves for work at 6:45 am until 2:15 pm when Scott gets there to pick her up. Mind you, he will have to feed, diaper, clean,watch, AND entertain her during these hours. I was a bit apprehensive, but figured, he volunteered and well, hell, I was in a pickle. My Mom was having the same feelings I was, but what was the worst that could happen, he call and say, we are outside your door at your office, come get her? I told him that if things got too out of hand to call and I would just have to leave work and they would have to deal. Well, hell, you know what? He did a damn fine job. The two of them had a great day, and when Scott picked her up, she cried. And later a few days later my Dad even told me that when he went back in the house after Scott and Syd left, he even cried. Now mind you, he has been battling a kidney stone for about 4 weeks now and the pain meds can cause one to be a bit oversensitive. When I spoke to my Mom the next day she just kept saying "your Dad had SUCH a great time yesterday with Syd." I think that is a memory I will always hold so close to my heart. I know both of them will.

So, Dad keeps the kid, gets her meds and we are good for the week. WRONG. On Wednesday, Syd's school calls, that afternoon she has 101.9 fever. We go to the Dr. her throat is flaming red, fever nose issues you know the whole 9 yards. No strep, virus. So, no school on Thursday. So, I pack her up to take her to work with me. I figure we get there around 9 am and leave around noon. Yeah, best layed plans. I think we left at 3:30...but it was before 4 I do know that. Oh, yeah and every cuss word I have been stopping myself from saying around her and struggling to get my Dad and Scott to not say around her, was blown within the first 15 seconds when we walked in the door at my work. My boss, he has no kids and thank God for that small wonder. Yeah, we are sitting there, me trying to fix a computer issue, Syd on my lap, and him standing there with three other men in my office and the fucks and shits and GD's are flying. I am sitting there thinking, don't react it will only cause more of a reason to point out this language to her. In my mind I am saying "WHAT THE FUCK MAN, SHE IS A DAMN LITTLE KID! WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM! YOU DON'T CUSS AROUND THE KID GOD DAMN IT!" But really I was fine. She did great, the whole freaking day, better than I in some aspects. I am lucky to have the ability in times like that to tote her in with me. Lets just hope that it is less than once a year. haha

The next day was Friday, and I was already scheduled off for that day. I had to wait for the GE repair man, since the window for their service calls are between the hours of 8-5, yeah thanks for narrowing that one down for me. So, my plan was to kick back for the day and relax and sleep and just veg out. Well, best layed plans again...Syd was still running a fever and I just did not feel good about sending her to school. So, day two with Mommy all day. Mommy is TIRED because ever since Tuesday night Syd who always sleeps through the night has been waking up around 10:30-Midnight and takes at least an hour to get back to sleep. My first clue that this illness is setting in. So, she and I chill on Friday, we take her back to the Dr. that afternoon just because I wanted them to check her again and she had started to reject all meds and getting her to eat was even getting to be a challenge. And drinking was not that high on the list either. Still no strep but her throat was still blazing red. We were told to give her anything she would eat that would keep her hydrated, popsicles, ice cream, anything that we could get her to take advil in because she was not taking that nor the tylenol. Either that route or the in the butt fever reducer. Yeah, ice cream worked..thank goodness.

Saturday, the kid was 99% better. Sunday, Mommy was showing exhaustion. Mommy ate breakfast and then was back in bed at 11 am and did not get back up until 5 pm.

Monday, Mommy feeling more and more sick. Tuesday, Mommy still getting sicker. Wednesday...yeah, I got Syd to school, went to Wal-Mart and got Nyquil and called work told them I was dead and if they needed me call me, my phone was next to my bed. I did not see Syd until Thursday morning when I woke her to take her to school. My plan for that day, stay for a few hours and go home. Well, by now you know my mantra. Yeah, that did not happen either, seems while I was out the ONE DAY, my bosses wife in her lovely fashion that she can pull off, decided to come in and lay into my employees for no fucking reason. Just because her husband, my boss is in Germany hunting and there was no one there to prevent her from doing so. Needless to say, Thursday afternoon when she did appear she asked me why I was still there as sick as I was and by that time, I felt so bad and really did not care any more, I told her, "I have to be here to be a buffer between you and my employee's, because if you are going to jump their asses like you did yesterday then no matter how sick I am, I cannot NOT be here to protect them." My main beef was that she never apologized to them, she bought them lunch....NO that is not saying you are sorry. But I did get her to say it and that was my main goal.

So, I was told at the end of the day on Thursday to stay at home on Friday if I was still so sick. Well, yeah I am still sick, the main thing is that my throat hurts so fucking much, it hurts worse than when I had my tonsils out when I was a kid. I have the virus Syd had of course,and I do not know how she behaved so well, because I have been terrible. I have had 4 pills with codeine to help with the pain, it is the only thing that can ease it and right at 3 1/2 hours I am back in pain again. I called to get in to see the Dr.he is booked solid, but they did call in three meds for me, and now Scott because he is coming down with it now too. I hope that the meds will get into his system to prevent him from going through this because if it has kicked my ass like this, he is going to just about die. I feel better today but the pain in my ears and throat is unbelievable.

So, now it is 12:30 am on Saturday, and I cannot sleep because codeine does not knock me out but it wires me. Yeah, lucky me.

And while we have been running illness street here, Kim has been dealing with more crap that I can ever imagine. She has put me to shame with the shit she has been coping with in the last 3 weeks. Pray for them, I feel just terrible that I am so far away and all that I have been able to offer her and her family are the prayers we have been sending them. I just wish I could have been there to at least give her a hug. Thank God from the last e-mails I have gotten from her, Little Man seems to be a lot better.

Yeah, it has been an interesting few weeks here. I am considering taking the heat from my sore throat and bending metal with the heat it seems to be creating because the only way I can describe it, is it feels like it is on fire. Cold does not ease the pain, warm foods and lots and lots of warm beverages can soothe it. I am going to turn into a sore throat lozenge. Icey blue mint anyone?


At 5:01 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Hey, your prayers helped, that was what we needed! We are all doing fine (finally). You stop worrying about us and take care of yourself. I am worried about you. Please rest and relax and enjoy your beautiful daughter. I hope she is feeling better.

Now, you rest and kick this virus in the ass!

At 7:44 AM , Blogger New Texan said...


At 1:42 PM , Blogger Masked Mom said...

Just the thought of pink eye makes my eyes itch and water. Poor Syd and poor you!

At 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. I feel your pain. I had strep earlier this year and it LAID ME OUT. I hope you get better soon.

At 5:34 PM , Anonymous n!ta said...

if you can get Throat Coat lozenges at a natural food place, they rock. of course, krust will laugh his ass off at the title...


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home