Friday

Kicking myself in the ass

Ever made a mistake that cost you some money that if you had paid attention it would not have even been an issue? When it comes to $$ I am pretty on top of things to prevent over spending. Well not this time, and I am still mad at myself. See, I thought I had one more pharmacy refill on a maintenance drug, but I thought wrong. I used the last one last month, 30 days ago.

So therefore, on our insurance if you have a maintenance drug you HAVE to do mail order or pay FULL PRICE at the local pharmacy, they will NOT give you any other refill for the co-pay price. So, I am screwed. I called the Dr. hoping that they had samples, but no dice this is not a common prescribed medication. The pharmacist called the insurance company to see if they would give me 2 weeks worth at a cut rate until I could mail my mail order script, THAT I HAVE BEEN CARRYING AROUND SINCE OCTOBER 12TH, was filled. Their answer...NO! And when I called them yesterday to inquire myself to see if there was some sort of help for me, they said you will have to pay full price. I said OK and the woman says to me, "Would you like to speak to a Dr. or Pharmacist?" I asked her why would I want to do that? Her answer was: "So you can find out what will happen if you stop taking the medication." I told her I knew good and well what would happen to me if I stopped. I guess this is the way Medco prevents them from liability if I go postal because I don't have my sanity medication. Yeah, thanks, I know my head is fucked not to mention the utter hell you go through when you stop the meds cold turkey. Been there done that and I have no urge to go back into the black hole. Plus this is the medication that can give you the fatal rash if you start out on too strong of a dose when you start the medication. So stopping at 200 MG's and then starting right back at that level whenever the drug fairy comes to visit could really kill me. Yeah thanks I KNOW!

So, the pharmacist called me back and told me that I would have to pay full price. My Dr.'s office and I were talking back and forth yesterday trying to figure something out. Mind you the last phone conversation I had with them they told me, "Tawny you cannot stop taking these meds." I ran to the office and they faxed over a prescription that should speed the process, but it is a new medication for the mail order system and that always takes longer. So, last night I went to Wal-Mart to get some of the refill I have there to hold me over until HOPEFULLY the medication is at my doorstep. I figured I will get three pills, I get paid tomorrow and this will get me through the weekend. Three pills $ 21.00 and change. This makes them over $ 7.00/pill. Mind you I knew that 14 pills were $ 76.00 and change, making them just over $ 5.00 per pill. No, no that is not the way it works, buy more get it for less. So, I spent over $ 76.00 for 14 fucking pills. I paid $ 26 and change over what by mail order would give me for 90 days. $ 50.00 gives me 90 days, $ 76 and change gives me 14 pills when I don't have any local pharmacy refills left. But, they don't MAKE you use the mail order. How really do they NOT make you? I do like mail order ONCE IT IS SET UP. But getting new medications is a real bitch, they take forever. I so hope that someone starts making a generic of my medication and Wal-Mart has it on their $4.00 plan. I so want to flip Medco off.

But it really is MY FAULT not theirs, I fucking forgot or did not pay attention. And yes, I am still pissed.

3 Comments:

At 5:38 AM , Blogger Masked Mom said...

When I know something's my own fault, it makes it way worse and not better.

The standard advice is don't be so hard on yourself & just do better next time. If you can figure out how to do that, you let me know, okay? ;)

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

yeah, at first I was thinking about my car wreck...not paying attention and WHAM! totaled vehicle and increase in premiums.

And the meds? I know what you are going through. Moving has been a real issue because I still don't have a new doctor out here, and my old one isn't comfortable renewing my script unless she sees me (THREE states away!!) And trust me, when you're dealing with behavioral medications, you don't want to f**k with me. Did anyone ever think of THAT?!!

oooh, i'm all fired up now. So sorry.

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Kim said...

I am so sorry. I hope that they process your new one soon.

Its awful they charge out the ass for meds like that, knowing how people need them.

Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home